explorer problems and confused

Hi folks...I have a new problem with my 1997 4.0L sohc 4wd sport.

Here is my situation with my explorer. I was driving on the highway and half way toward my destination my check engine light lit up for the very first time ever. When I reached my destination I quickly pop open the hood and checked fluids levels; everything seemed normal.

The next day I drove the truck to AutoZone and had a store clerk hook up his code reader to my truck. He told me the computer indicated an emissions problem. I don't remember the code number. He erased the code and turned off the check engine light.

Over the weekend I experience the truck shifting hard. The truck shifted particularly hard when shifting from reverse to drive. It felt like I got rammed in the back by another vehicle. In one instance the shift from reverse to drive was so abrupt that it got the attention of walking pedestrians.

Two days ago, cruising along between 55-60 and my truck's rpm gauge read a

4500-5000K. Leaving the highway and driving along the avenue at 30-35mph the gauge read 3000 rpm. At this point I am in a panic and drove @ 25mph until I got home.

Today I drove it to a transmission shop and had them run the truck through their computer. Odd thing is, (a) the truck is no longer revving high along the highway as the day before, and (b) the transmission mechanic said the computer didn't find any codes and he drove the truck and said it shifted fine. However he did say he heard a noise in the front end and he told me it's probably a wheel bearing.

At this point I don't know what to make of this problem. Could a bad front wheel bearing cause the high rpm on the highway? Could the AutoZone clerk erasing the emission code he pulled hide a deeper problem? And if so wouldn 't the Check Engine light come on again after the incident on the highway when the engine was revving very high on the highway? The transmission tech said the tranny fluids were clean and didn't smell burnt.

Driving it lately I did noticed less control at highway speeds. The truck seems to wonder left and right and I'm correcting the wheel more than usual. Driving it sorta has a less connected feeling with the road lately. I was assuming it might have been crosswinds pushing my explorer left and right but now I don't know.

Any ideas?

Ed Galarza

Manchester, CT

ed(nospam)galarza@hot(nospam)mail.com