Explorer sounds like a squeaking mattress

My car makes a squeaking sound, sort of like mattresses squeaking. I think it is mostly in the front. It also sometimes makes a jingling sound that sounds like it is near the front tire. The jingling sound is usually when the motor is warm, but the squeaky sound is mostly anytime. I usually hear it on roads that are not totally smooth, which is most all roads. I have a

95 4 door 4WD. 99,000 miles, and as far as I know, it has had nothing done to it other than oil, brakes, batteries and a starter. Could this be shocks? Do I have anything to lube? I had a full size Bronco before this and it made a similar sound and I had the fittings greased - or something that sounded like that. Sorry, don't mean to sound like a ditz! I'm not very auto-educated. My ex husband did all of this but now I am learning!
Reply to
jenniferl

On my '97' the front left shock has started squeaking - I have a Explorer LTD with the air-leveling shocks, so it's gonna squeak for awhile before I feel compelled to fork over $180 per shock for replacements.

Reply to
Herb Kauhry

The squeaking sound is probably a dry ball joint and the jingling is probably a loose exhaust heat shield.

Hope this helps, SMC

Reply to
MOTO

Thanks for your help!

Reply to
jenniferl

Try a little rubber lub on the upper control arm bushings and sway bar bushings. Black Magic wet tire spray will also work wonders. My advice, if he has half a brain and a job, get that ex husband back. :) That 95 is going on 9 years old so you may want to find a new bo who is handy with a wrench.

R> My car makes a squeaking sound, sort of like mattresses squeaking. I think

Reply to
Ron

The squeaking could be the radius arm bushings. I had a 1994 and had a squeaking and it turned out to be the radius arm bushing. As for the rattling, I will also second the cat shield. That can be either ripped off or clamped down with a stainless steel clamp.

Here is a link to some ideas on the squeaking,

Here is one on the rattling,
good luck, Bill

Reply to
Bill V

Jennifer, I recently had the same problem. It was the radius arm bushings. After replacing them, sounds went away and the truck handles like new.

Good luck!

Reply to
echausow