Extreme shutter after steering rack installed

I just replaced the rack in my 1995 EB Ford Explorer. I filled th steering reservoir and started the engine. The car is still up on jac stands. With a helper slowly turning the wheel I kept filling. At thi point it took less than a quart. When the wheel is turned you can feel it is very jumpy. If you turn th wheel fast the wheel violently shakes bake and forth, almost shaking th entire car. This would not stop so I quickly shut off the engine.

I checked the lines are connected to the correct placed on the rack. What could be wrong?

I was just about to remove the return line from the steering radiater t flush the system. Should I do this next or is something really wrong?

- Message posted using

information at

plex4r

[...]

Sorry for the multiple posts!! It was just air in the lines that was removed after I lowered the SUV an continue to move the wheel

-

Message posted using

information at

plex4r

It happens to all of us at some time or another. Thanks for the reply as to the fix/source of the problem. Those are the things I file away for future reference!

Bill

Reply to
Bill Hall