Fan question- the sequel

Hello. I own a 96 Explorer XLT with v6 and just over 176,000 miles. Recently I noticed the fan has some cracks around the center hub, so I began research to replace it. On the internet I found many listings, but for 2 different fans. One is a 10-blade, and the other is 12. Both were for the v6. Today I bought a new belt and the fan. The one in my vehicle now has 12 blades, but the one I was sold at the dealership has 10. When I asked about this, the guy told me the 10 replaces the 12, and that it would work exactly the same. Any input on this? I tried to contact Fords official website, but that is a waste of time since I get looped to the same stupid page. If the 10 will truly perform just as the 12 has, I'll proceed with it. However, if anyone thinks differently there's time for me to return it. Thanks for any input, and btw....if your Explorer is older, and you've never checked your fan blade, it might be a good idea to do this. Cracks can occur near the center hub.

Randy

We're living in a world that's been pulled over our eyes to blind us from the truth. Where are you, white rabbit?

randy pavatte

Too many variables to make an educated guess..... local climate, driving environment, A/C, condition of the rest of the cooling system.....

Certainly the 10 blade should move enough air..... not to mention that cracked blades can turn the 12 blade fan into a vibrating missile launcher (with the rad being one of many "ground zeroes"). Ford has certainly made stranger 'change-ups' in the parts department. If I lived in an area where the temperature was constantly bumping triple digits, my environment had me in heavy slow moving traffic and/or I was constantly heavily laden (c'mon, now... that's a gas tank for a love machine.... not a beer belly) I might get a little concerned. But, in abscence of anything different, I would most likely go with a Ford or Motorcraft branded part rather than risk something off-breed only to find it has a centrifugal clutch rather than a thermatic clutch....

HTH...

Jim Warman