Fast idle problem

Hello,

I have '96 4.0 Explorer Sport 5 speed with a fast idle (1,500 - 2,500) condition that goes away after you drive the vehicle until it's warm then shut if off and start it back up. Anyone know what could be the problem? It has a new IAC valve and 02 sensors. No codes showing.

Thanks for looking, SMC

Reply to
scottmotocross

On my '96 4dr 4.0L ohv automatic, I was having problems with intermittent high idle after warmup. The problem was caused by a bad engine coolant temp (ECT) sensor. On my vehicle there are two temp sensors, one feeds the gauge on the dash, the other (the ECT) feeds the engine computer. Replacing the ECT fixed the problem.

Reply to
Just_Steve

Thanks for the reply Steve. I'll check mine.

Take Care, SMC

Reply to
scottmotocross

Changed the ECT & thermostat. Didn't really make a difference. Thanks for the suggestion though.

SMC

Reply to
scottmotocross