Faulty door switch in cargo area

I have a 1997 Ford Explorer XLT. Up until about 3 weeks ago the open/close door switch in the rear cargo area worked fine. All of a sudden it will lock the doors but not open them....... Does anyone know why? or what I can do to fix it? I am from Australia and secondhand parts for the Explorer are not readily available and Ford want close to $80 for it!!! I cannot justify $80 for a switch so any help would be appriciated.

David

Reply to
telfeetau

It might be a dirty contact. Try opening it up and spraying some electrcal contact cleaner on the connectors.

Reply to
Ratbert

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum