final drive ratio, gas mileage, other wear

Anyone have an idea of how much a typical towing package reduces highway gas mileage and adds to engine wear, when not towing anything? I'm talking about on a full sized truck or SUV with a V8. My thinking is that the lower final drive ratio revs the engine more, increases wear, increases noise, and lowers mileage on the highway. But maybe I have it wrong, I'm hardly an expert.

The motivation behind my question is that I'm looking at buying a new vehicle. The towing package is not an expensive option and even though I don't to tow anything right now, it might be worth having over the long run. But if it takes a noticeable toll on (the already terrible) mileage, and/or adds to engine wear, then I'll pass on the towing package.

Thanks for your advice.

Reply to
fork

I'm not an expert either but from what I know, everything you have said is correct. The change in the final drive ratio (lower gearing=higher numerical drive ratio) does increase wear and lower mileage because of increased engine rpm's at a given speed. To what degree I can't even guess. The engine stayed quiet and doesn't have an oil consumption problem. Noisier--I really never compared it. I got the package on my

98 Mountaineer V6 when I bought it new and the mileage rating was listed as a pretty sad 15/19 mpg. Well that's just about what I got--I checked it a lot in its first couple of years. So, it couldn't have cost more than 1 mpg or I think I would have seen it. I guess I considered myself lucky that it got what was advertised so I'm not complaining.

Ken

fork wrote:

Reply to
Kenneth J. Harris