fixed windshield washer button

Whadaya know!? I fixed the button on the turn signal stalk that activates the windshield washer on my '96. It only worked sometimes and then you had to mash it in hard and wiggle it around. I was told that there is nothing you can do and you must buy the entire "multipurpose switch."

I discovered that there is actually an end cap on the stalk. It sure looked like one piece, but when I had the switch entirely apart and poured some alcohol down in there, I saw where it was leaking out.

Pull off the endcap, remove one screw and the piece with the contacts on it comes right out. These springy contacts get unsprung after awhile and you lose a function. Clean up the contacts, throw on some silicone dielectric, bend the tabs out some and you're done. Of course it took me much longer to get the main part of the multipurpose switch back together with all the springs sproinging and such.

Reply to
SkyOrDie