Flexible Fuel Vehicles

Anyone know if the older Explorers can use the E85 fuel, or would they be damaged? What all would be necessary for a change to be able to use E85?

With gas at $2.39 a gallon, and E85 at $1.34 a gallon, and tax incentives for clean air fuels, who wouldn't ask these questions?

Jim, any ideas, suggestions?

Reply to
John Riggs

From

: Q.What is a flexible fuel vehicle?

A.A flexible fuel vehicle is specially designed to run on any ethanol fuel blend up to 85 percent ethanol. Special on-board diagnostics "read" the fuel blend, enabling drivers to fuel with E85 or gasoline in any combination from a single tank. There are no switches to flip, no mixing or blending. The computer adjusts the vehicle?s fuel injection and ignition timing to compensate for the different fuel mixtures. As of December 1997, there are two manufacturers producing flexible fuel vehicles. Ford Motor Company manufactures a Flexible Fuel Ford Taurus and Chrysler Corporation is building all of its 3.3 liter, 6-cylinder engine 1998 minivans to be flexible fuel. In model year 1999, all 3.0 liter Ford Rangers will be equipped with a flexible fuel engine that can burn up to 85 percent ethanol as well.

Reply to
Big Bill

Okay, I knew all of that, thanks. What I'm looking for is a bit more specific as far as the ramifications of using E85, or if it is possible to convert to it, without too much hassle. Surely our own Mr. Wizard has an answer.

| > With gas at $2.39 a gallon, and E85 at $1.34 a gallon, and tax | >incentives for clean air fuels, who wouldn't ask these questions? | >

| > Jim, any ideas, suggestions? | >

:| | Q.What is a flexible fuel vehicle? | | A.A flexible fuel vehicle is specially designed to run on any ethanol | fuel blend up to 85 percent ethanol. Special on-board diagnostics | "read" the fuel blend, enabling drivers to fuel with E85 or gasoline | in any combination from a single tank. There are no switches to flip, | no mixing or blending. The computer adjusts the vehicle's fuel | injection and ignition timing to compensate for the different fuel | mixtures. As of December 1997, there are two manufacturers producing | flexible fuel vehicles. Ford Motor Company manufactures a Flexible | Fuel Ford Taurus and Chrysler Corporation is building all of its 3.3 | liter, 6-cylinder engine 1998 minivans to be flexible fuel. In model | year 1999, all 3.0 liter Ford Rangers will be equipped with a flexible | fuel engine that can burn up to 85 percent ethanol as well. | -- | Bill Funk | Change "g" to "a"

Reply to
John Riggs

I have a 2003 XLT. It is a flexible fuel vehicle. Unfortunately, I would have to drive to Minnesota to get E85 fuel. There are no E85 stations within 1000 miles of New York, where I live.

Reply to
syclone

Hold the phone....let me find those for you.

Start here

Go here

then go ....... Wait! Damn! They sure don't like you New England Yankee boys. Nothing until West Virginia and Maryland, and Maryland has a buttload. Sorry you can't use the information, but perhaps it will allow you to travel on vacation better than us mere mortals who have to buy old fashioned gasoline.

Reply to
John Riggs