Fog light question

'02 XLT came without fog lamps; there are plastic covers where the lamps ought to be.

Question is, if I purchase aftermarket fog lamps, are there mounting brackets already on the truck behind those plastic pieces, to which the most popular will definately attach? Is there are wiring attachment there too? And if so, how would I get a "finished" appearance, as if the the truck came from the factory with the fog lamps in place?

TIA

Rick Bryan New York, NY

Reply to
Corwin

There are three holes in the back of the bumper, facing forward, that the factory fog lights' "fingers" mount to on each side. You should see them if you look under the bumper and face forward. I think they're there even if you don't have factory fogs, as long as you have the plastic covers.

The factory fogs have a relay in the battery junction box under the hood. You would also need the factory headlamp switch, which you pull out to turn on the fog lights. From what I can see in the factory wiring diagram I have, you should have some of the wiring there already, but the harness and connectors to the fog lights probably aren't there---you'd see them near the fog lamp area if they were, as part of the harness leading to the headlights and turn signals on each side.

You might be better off just buying one of these eBay kits and wiring your own switch. You could use heavier wire that way, and wire them to turn on any way you want (instead of the factory's method of parking or low beams only).

There are a few sellers on eBay selling the factory fog lamps for the

2002-up 4-door Explorer. Here are two examples:

HTH...

Reply to
JonnyCab®