Ford DRL Module Part Number(s)?

Hello...

Looking at the FAQ for information on the DRL for a 1992 Explorer, I found this (from Dave Schultheis):

"In the last chapter of our story, I had ordered a DRL module from my local Ford dealer's parts department. Part number: F43Z-15A272-A (although the box is labeled slightly differently)."

I have a DRL module here, but the part number on it is different:

F65B-15A27?-AB (it is difficult to read those faded white letters!)

It also has "8A19D" stamped in the potting compound near the connector.

On the front, raised letters on the metal read: FORD (logo) L907D Made in UK

I'm wondering what "labeled slightly differently" means... perhaps the number was more like the one stamped on this unit?

I'd like to be sure this is a correct or compatible DRL for my 1992 Explorer XLT.

Thanks for any info...

Bob

Reply to
Robert A. Matern

The "stamping" number on many parts can be different from the actual part number. Any helpful Ford store should be able to cross the stamping number to a part number for you.

Jim Warman

Ford "store"???

I don't like to deal with dealerships... too often, the answers I get just aren't true at all.

Reply to
Robert A. Matern

Without checking with the dealer, I doubt you'll find many other sources for stamping number "decoding"..... your choice....

Reply to
Jim Warman

We got one of those DRL modules for our truck (a 96 Explorer) but after a couple years it went berzerk and the DRL would not turn off, even after shutting the car off and making sure the headlights were off too. Wound up removing the module and putting the headlight wiring back the way it was. Probably best off just turning on your headlights during the day.

I suspect the problems we had were because the US version of the truck was not wired to accept a DRL module, whereas the Canadian version, which requires DRL, was wired correctly (of course).

So it worked for a while OK, then not.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Mayer

Odd, I thought the shorting plug was a bypass for the module... that both versions of the truck were wired the same?

Are you sure the module didn't just fail?

Reply to
Robert A. Matern

Yes it sounds like maybe Mike had a module gone bad. I have a '96 Explorer US version purchased new that had the DRL connector with the shorting cap in place. I removed the shorting cap and plugged in the module never had a problem.

The DRL connector has 8 pins for the following:

# 1 - High beam indicator lamp #2 - Fused run only feed #3 - Brake warning indicator lamp #4 - Fused, hot at all times #5 - not used #6 - Parking brake on input #7 - Low beam output #8 - Pulsed voltage to high beams

The jumper used when a DRL is not plugged-in jumps pins 1 & 8 together, and 3 & 6 together.

Also with the proper plug-in DRL module and correct wiring harness there is no "headlight wiring to put back the way it was" just unplugged the module and plug the jumper cap back in.

Fred 2

Reply to
barrythedude - remove yer HAT and COAT to reply

I paid $45 US plus tax

Reply to
Fred 2

I paid $8 plus shipping... someone is selling them on eBay

I just wanted to be sure that the one I bought is compatible...

in

Reply to
Robert A. Matern

Can you read the white lettering stamped on your unit? Does the part number there match the part number you ordered?

Reply to
Robert A. Matern

Reply to
Fred 2