Ford Explorer servicing cd/dvd ??

I am an Explorer newbie, and need to start working on my '98 XLT. Can't afford $105/hr just to diagnose, more to work on the car, as my local dealers are telling me. I have low to average mechanical skills, but don't take on anything major at all.

I have heard about a Ford Explorer servicing cd/dvd. Does anyone know where to get it? Is it good? Or would it be better to get a good shop manual? Sorry for all the questions, but what's the best shop manual?

Thanks, Allen

Reply to
im_a_dreemer

The manuals aren't cheap.... the manuals arewritten with the understanding that the end user has good basic mechanicalskills and will have access to some specialized tools. Helms prints the factory authorized manuals for Ford... they do contain typos and inappropriate test procedures in some instances.

Reply to
Jim Warman

$7 Shipped, Covers all 98 Ford Trucks/Vans/SUVs Item number: 7958224206 Good Luck, Joe

Reply to
Joe

Also, if you ever have your check engine light illuminate. Bring it to checker/AutoZone for a free scan. Dealer will charge you $100 right there

Reply to
Joe

How long to you keep a car? That comes into the question of how much to spend on the manual. I have a 92, bought new and still going with just over 170K. I bought the Helm's manual. Yes, they are expensive and as Jim pointed out have typos and errors. But my take is this "how many hours (read that as cost) of shop time do I have to avoid to pay for the manuals?" Realize that in the Helm manuals there are many books in the set. I have three: Body/Chassis/Electrical, Engine, and Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting. Between these and the advice on this NG I can tell what I can fix and what needs professional help. Also by reading up on a problem, I can avoid a snow job when taking it in.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Thanks, just sent for it

Reply to
im_a_dreemer

I live in Northern cal, I don't know if we have checker. We have a lot of Kragen's and Pep Boys

Reply to
im_a_dreemer

I got the cd from Ebay, $6.99, if it's no good, I'm only out a few bucks.

Reply to
im_a_dreemer

This CD has proved very helpful with my 97. Covers: Chassis, Powertrain, Electrical, Body/Paint. BTW, I believe Kragen Auto is the same as Checker Good Luck, Joe

This is an example of the detail it goes in to for something as simple as the horn..

=AB1997 Explorer/Mountaineer Table of Contents=BB =ABGroup 4: Electrical=BB =ABSection 413-06: HORN

VEHICLE APPLICATION Explorer, Mountaineer

-DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION- Horn System Dual, electrically operated horns are mounted in the left front corner above the fender apron.

Horn Switch, Steering Wheel Mounted The horn blow switches (13A875) are underneath the driver side air bag module (043B13) in the steering wheel (3600). The switches are powered through the air bag sliding contact (14A664) and ground through the steering column.

-DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING-

=B2 Electrical Schematic Reference(s)

=B2 Inspection and Verification

=B2 Symptom Chart

=B2 Pinpoint Tests

=B2 PINPOINT TEST A: HORN DOES NOT SOUND (Index)

=B2 PINPOINT TEST B: HORN SOUNDS CONTINUOUSLY (Index)

=B2 REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION

-REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION- Removal

  1. Raise and support the hood.

=B5 2. Remove the horn bracket bolt.

=B5 3. Remove the fender apron bolts.

=B5 4. Position the fender apron aside.

=B5 5. Remove the horn.

1 Disconnect the electrical connector. 2 Remove the horn.

Installation

=B5 1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

=B5 Refer to corresponding illustration. =20

-SPECIFICATIONS- This covers torque specs etc.

Reply to
Joe

It looks pretty complete, thanks

Reply to
im_a_dreemer

Does it have more or different info than the Hayne's manual?

Ulysses