Ford Kills the Aviator

Not surprising to me, Ford today announced the death of the Lincoln Aviator in model year 2005. I looked at Aviator when we bot our '03 Mountaineer Premier. I couldn't see spending 10 grand more. Somehow a Town Car seems worth 10 grand more than a Crown Vic but an Aviator is definitely NOT worth more than a fully loaded Explorer/Mountaineer. Plus the mileage is about

2MPG worse and it requires premium gas. As bad as depreciation is on Explorer/Mountaineer, I can only imagine how bad it would be on Aviator. My guess, now that the announcement has been made, is that they'll have to rebate prices so that Aviator is only 3-4 grand more than a fully loaded Explorer/Mountaineer to move that metal now. Blackwood, Thunderbird, Continental, now Aviator. Ford is in serious trouble.
Reply to
B.D. Newman

And yet Lexus seem to be able to sell thinly (very thinly) disquised 4Runners for big bucks. Is this confirmation that Lincoln buyers are smarter than Lexus buyers?

Regards,

Ed White

"B.D. Newman" wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

Great point. Actually, I also own a Lexus ES300. I looked closely at the new GX truck...the one that competes with Aviator. Frankly I don't get that either...the third row seats are wierd "strap-on" thingies. I wonder how well that model Lexus is actually selling. I know the RX sells well. Anyway, Ford botched up the Aviator...the launch, the pricing, etc. It reminds me of the "Lincoln Versailles" of late '70's vintage...a thinly disguised Ford Granada for three times the price (or something liket that). No one bot it.

Reply to
B.D. Newman

great point!

:-)

Reply to
news.bellatlantic.net

Well actually the Versailles actually had quite a few upgraded parts compared to a Granada. However, it still looked like a Granada with tacked on junky looking trim. It wasn't anywhere near three times the cost. In 1977 the list price was $11,500 for a very well equipped vehicle. They sold over 15,000 1977 models despite a very late introduction (see

).Abase price 1977 Granada was around $6,000 but if you tried to match theVersailles standard equipment you would have been pushing $8500 andstill not have all the same upgrades. However, in the end the Versailleslooked too much like a Granada and shared way too may parts. I supposedit could be claimed that the Versailles was the ultimate luxury Falcon.Persoanlly I though tit was a stupid vehicle.

Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White

Don't worry..... OreganoMan says we can all buy Camrys and forget anythiing else.

All manufacturers resort to upscaling a vehicle in order to maximize prfits. I do recall a Cadillac that was little more than a Cavalier or similar with leather seats..... and they actually sold some?!?!?!?!

It works with everything in life.... someone puts out "feelers" and they will recevie varying amounts of acceptance. There is no sense in supporting a marque that wont sell.

Jim Warman

Catera?

The have or are going to be dropped soon.

Ken

Reply to
NJ Vike

A hush fell over the crowd when, "NJ Vike" stepped up to the podium and announced:

...remember the Cimeron? Nothing more than a rebadged Buick Skyhawk. That car was built for the people who absolutely, positively HAD to have a Caddy but couldn't afford a real one.

Kinda like the new C280(?) class MB's and the trunkless 318 BMW's.

Reply to
wideglide01diespammers

That's the one I was trying to think of... Cimerron..... yeah.

Some on this NG might remember the Olds Firenza - don't recall what happened with the class action suit over that creampuff....

Jim Warman

There's a *reason* that the Aviator, Blackwood, and Marauder aren't (weren't) selling.

ADVERTISING.

I have yet to see one commercial or any other kind of marketing campaign for any of the three vehicles here. The Blackwood was axed because nobody

*knew* about it.

Also, AFAIK, the Explorer and Mountaineer are going to a different platform for 2006, which is probably why the Aviator is lasting until 2005.

Reply to
JonnyCab®

What type of different platform? Explorer is the best selling SUV of all time...and is the best selling SUV in the current market....so why would Ford substantially alter it?

Reply to
B.D. Newman

Reply to
Pedro Faberlle