Front Drive Shaft '97 AWD 5.0L

I just removed the front drive shaft of my '97 Explorer, AWD, 5.0L and found that the cv joint at the transfer case was bad. I purchased a replacement, part #65-9452, from a local Napa store. I've tried to install it without success. It appears to be too long. I've read that Ford changed the transfer case midway through the '97 production year and some '97 models take the '98 model front drive shaft, #65-9450. Does anyone have any knowledge regarding this? Have I be sold the wrong shaft, or is there a trick for installing it?

Thanks,

dpj

Reply to
Don Johnson

did you match the new one to the old one?

ds549

I compared them side by side. I didn't notice about a 1" difference in length. I went back and asked to look at the '98 front drive shaft. Turned out the '98 was used on some '97s, and that fixed the problem.

Reply to
Don Johnson