Fuel Filter 2001 Sport Trac

I didn't want to pay the $50 the dealer wanted to change the filter, so I bought one. I snapped back the clips, but the hose would not slip off. It looks like there might be an internal snap ring or something. I didn't want to tear up anything, so I thought I would ask for help.Anyone change one of these, and what does it take? Ron

Reply to
R&B

There is a garter clip inside the belled housing at the fuel line terminations..... takes a special tool, probably 4 or 8 bux at the local parts monger. These do collect dirt inside - if you don't get them clean, you can and will damage the clips (last time I checked, these are shorter than the older ones and are not serviced separately yet). Don't forget to bleed fuel pressure down before you remove the filter - there can be enough residual pressure in the line to give the unwary a nasty surprise.... especially when an incandescent trouble light is involved.

Jim Warman

Jim, thanks for the info. Since I already bought the filter from the dealer, and it's time to have the oil changed, I guess I'll let them change it this time. We are leaving on a trip Friday, and I don't have time to find the tool and experiment with using it. It seems like all of these better ideas are sure weeding out the average do it yourself mechanic.

Ron

Reply to
R&B

Reply to