fuel guage

I have a 1993 explorer, 4.0, 6cyl, 5 speed and I love it! The problem is the fuel guage all of a sudden stopped working. When the ignition is in the "off" position, the needle will move to read a quarter of a tank. When I turn the key on, the needle will drop down below empty. BUT, on occasion, it will read the fuel that's in the tank. Is my truck possessed??? Thank you for any help you can give me. Deb

Reply to
dferdon

I had/have the same problem with my 1994. I paid the dealer to replace the float at about 78,000 miles which cost about $2 and 300 for the labor of dropping the tank. Then the thing went out again at 100,000 miles. This is a bad seam in the float allot of people experience this. I gave up on it and use the trip odometer to gauge range on fuel. Mine will start to work again when the weather reaches about 80 degrees. It just shows that if you replace a defective part with another one guess what happens. I would not use a FORD part to repair this if you try. Re solder the one you have or find another source for the part.

Reply to
Bryon

I had the same experience. I replaced the fuel pump assy with a brand new Ford unit and the new unit failed after about 6 months (float leaking again).

I found an aftermarket assembly on Ebay from

It is well worth the $120 or so that I paid. It is the entire assembly with a new fuel pump, strainer, fuel sender, and solid float (unlike the crappy stamped/soldered brass float that Ford sells).

You should be able to drop the tank yourself. It's one of the simpler DIY jobs that I have done. Just make sure you run the tank as dry as you can so it's not so heavy.

Reply to
Tommy Wood

And since installing the aftermarket parts, you've had no problems?

Reply to
dferdon