FWD CV Boot Leak

On my 96 XLT 4WD, the drivers side front wheel drive axle's inner CV joint appears to be leaking, although it looks like some just ran out and coated the outside of the bearing housing, and a little on the surrounding areas due to some splatter from centrifugal force.

Has anyone noticed this before? How hard is it to pull the boot back to repack it with grease and reband it?

TIA,

-IanCT

Reply to
IanCT

if it is NOT ripped, I doubt that you have lost a significant enough amount of grease to be concerned...

You can buy a cheapie banding tool for about 12 bucks (kinda like a sardine can opener) or many of the parts stores will loan you one.

banding it is no big deal. The question is if you have enough room to work with the axle on... (you should).

Reply to
Chief Wiggum

Thanks for the reply, I know it's not ripped, I checked the ribbing all the way around the boot. All four boots, inner/outer on both axles look real good, no cracking, they seem in good shape. I know that in sometime during a CV boot lifetime that grease may leak out, I'm not too concerned about it as being an irregularity. I was also wondering if anyone else's Ex has had this happen.

I've banded CV boots before, but always off the car with the axle on a work bench. It looks like there is enough room to work, and on jack stands shouldn't be a problem.

I imagine I should be able to pull the boot back a bit to inspect the amount of grease still in there and maybe shove a little more in there.

Thanks!

-IanCT

Reply to
IanCT