Gas Leak

I own a 1994 Explorer and I've noticed that when I fill the tank up, gas leaks from what appears to be the middle of the vehicle. The first time I noticed it, I thought the attendant had over done it in terms of filling it, to get a round number $$, but since then I've done it myself and once the gas nozzle automatically caused the gas pump to stop, I stopped, but it still leaked. I would say it was about a 1/2 gallon that was left under the truck.

I don't know whether this is related or not, but I figure I should give as much information as I have; the truck sat for about a year and when I got it back on the road again, I noticed the gas gauge didn't work. The leak only happens at fill-up, I see no evidence of gas leaking once I leave the pump.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Saycoda

Sounds like the vent tube that runs up to the evap. canister may have a break in it. The tube is on the top of the gas tank so it would only leak out when it was full.

Reply to
aem11782

I had an E150 do this and the gasket around the fuel pump (top of tank) was pinched. It would do it when the tank was very full when sitting level, and then when stopping or starting when the tank was above 3/4. I told the dealer 3 times what the problem was, but of course I would take it in with the tank empty, so they didnt believe me. Finally got pissed, filled it up at the station next to the dealer and drove into the shop with gas pouring out of the tank.

They fixed it that time.....

Reply to
Gerry Pierce

My '91 was leaking gas when I would fill it up. It turned out to be a hole in the fill tube leading from the gas fill hole to the tank. Oddly enough the fill tube looked fine except for the very nicely shaped hole that was perfectly round as though it had been die cut. My temporary fix using a piece of old inner tube, some 5-minute epoxy, and lots of electrical tape has held for a year now.

Reply to
Ulysses