Gas mileage for 94 EXP 4.0L

Hi, What is the normal gas mileage for a 1994 EXP 4.0L? What trick do you have to get a better fuel/mileage? I'm about 15 MPG for my daily use and around

19 MPG on highway or long trip. What do you think?

Thanks a bunch

Marc

Reply to
The Punisher

With a 1993 4.0L, I just got 15.58 MPG for running to/from work. Haven't had it long enough yet to figure out highway mileage.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

Okay, so maybe I am a bit of a geek. But I carry an HP200LX with me all the time, and since it has Lotus 1-2-3 built in I can do fun things like this:

Save that to your hard drive, then Excel should open it although it won't like the opening macro.

This will give you complete fuel usage from new through today's fill-up for VIN 1FMDU34XXRUA52011

Reply to
Gordon S. Hlavenka

That sounds just about right. The only trick would be to never make short trips and never go fast.

-- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789

Reply to
AZGuy

there are a few things you can do. replace or have cleaned your air flow sensor. And replace the O2 sensor. you should be getting closer to 18-20 mpg. this will give you a better & cleaner burn. also replace spark pluggs at this time.

happy trails to u

Reply to
blacksheep

Hi, I changed both O2 sensors and all spark plugs. I didn't thought about the airflow sensor but I will do it. Thanks for your help! Regards

Marc

"blacksheep" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...

Reply to
The Punisher

my 94 EXP 4.0 4WD automatic gets 13 city, 20 highway. This mileage has been exactly the same since I bought it in 1996. I've got a bit of a lead foot in town. On the highway it gets 20 MPG no matter what- towing my small boat, AC at full blast or not. Highway mileage is pretty damn good, city mileage pretty poor. I bought a new Hyundai to drive around town. I just use the EXP now for fishing, hauling and towing.

Reply to
Bob

When my '94 was new I could get 23+ MPG on a trip. With the new oxygenated fuels I got 20 MPG on a trip. Never checked it around town.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Wow! Pretty good! My '94 XLT 4x4 gets 14 around town and only 19 on the highway, that's like nonstop. If I stop for food or rest areas, it goes down. The best mileage I've ever seen is 20.9, drafting behind my father-in-law's 36 foot fifth wheel. Worst was 10, towing a 3.500 lb boat from western to eastern Washington (i.e. uphill) trying to do 70. Richard

Reply to
Richard Minami

On my 96exp sport, I get an average of 19.6mpg combined city/highway. On several longer trips that were mostly highway with little stop and go, I can get up to 26~29mpg depending on if it's summer or winter. All are with the truck loaded and 4 passengers.

I found it rather interesting as my wife's mazda protoge econobox doens't get all that much better milage that I am. maybe 3 or 4 mpg better. I just use standard gas, replace the spark plugs and cables every 40k and use synthetic oil.

Richard M> Wow! Pretty good! My '94 XLT 4x4 gets 14 around town and only 19 on

Reply to
mjm