Gasoline coming out of tail pipe in a 93

I fired up my 93 Explorer this morning (Friday the 13th) and it would not start, I smelled gas, so thought that I had flooded it....started it with the pedal floored, and it ran really roughly and would die after letting off the gas. Smelled gas and saw blue smoke, look under the exhaust pipe and it had blown out a ton of gasoline. Any Ideas? Thanks in Advance

Reply to
SlartiBartfast

It's fuel injected. Keep your foot off the gas when you start. It does nothing but help you flood the engine. Just get in and turn the key.

Reply to
John Riggs

Funny that is what I thought....the AAA guy that came to tow me insisited that I floor it to get it started....not that it helped.

Reply to
SlartiBartfast

You started it in the FIRST place (first try) with the pedal all the way down, or only after it wouldn't start? It used to be that with carburated engines if it was flooded you cranked it with the throttle wide open to try to clear the cylinder. So the AAA guy said to do it with a fuel injected engine?

Reply to
Ulysses

And the AAA guy was correct. The computer programming on virtually all modern FI cars is set to recognize a "engine not running, pedal to the floor" condition as "engine flooded" and it will cut the injection volume way down to allow you to start a flooded engine.

-- New service to compete with paypal Get $25 pre-registration bonus by following this link

Ashton Crusher

I learn something new every day on this NG.

Reply to
Ulysses

I believe it's a deeper issue than the position of the gas pedal. All engines with fuel injection have mixture enrichining devices that operate when the engine is cold. It is possible this is defective and emitting too much fuel.. Ron

Reply to
R&B