Gauge cluster cover cracked

Looked today at my gauge cluster and found that it is starting to get two cracks in the plastic over the top of all the gauges. Wow, I can't think what has caused this.

Anyone seen this? I'm at 250,000 miles now. Anyone replaced the plastic cover somehow on these? Do I have to buy the whole cluster or is the plastic cover a seperate part?

Paul

Reply to
Paul Scrutton

You do not mention what year Explorer you have, however, my '98 Ford TSP Workshop Manual CD indicates "to remove the instrument cluster lens and mask assembly simply remove the screws (seven total, three on top and four on the bottom)". So it appears as though you can just replace the lens without replacing the entire cluster.

Just a thought, but maybe a few of the screws were overtightened, which may have contributed to the cracking?

Good luck,

Steven

Paul Scrutt> Looked today at my gauge cluster and found that it is starting to get two

Reply to
Steven Hilgendorf