going to buy a new (for me) Explorer questions

OK all After thinking over my ongoing problem with the flexplate on my '93 XLT, I have decided to go for broke and replace it with a newer version. I have some questions from newer model owners that I hope you can answer.

I'm looking at 2001 XLT's (or above if they fit my budget) I also am considering 4WD (no snow, but moderate off road trips a couple times a year)

The 4.0 SOHC V6 looks like a better deal for this vehicle. Cheaper initial costs, better mileage and respectable hp. Does anyone have any gripes about this engine/tranny combo?

How much of a hit in overall cost of driving and maintaining is the 4WD option? What kind of around town mileage?

Anything in particular to watch out for in this model year Explorer?

Any "got to have" options? (trailer/tow package comes to mind)

Thanks to all for you input.

Larry

Reply to
LCC

Look at some of the threads on "gas mileage"

IMO the 1 or 2 mpg difference in the 2 motors isn't worth it to me. I would rather have the HP, and torque of the V8, for the minscule trade off in mileage.

It's like the 6 gets crappy mileage, and the 8 gets a *little* crappier mileage....

Reply to
rayfox

Reply to
AZGuy

I had a 99 mountaineer with the 5.0, a 97 with the SOHC and now have a 2002 with the SOHC.

I prefer the 4.0. The only problem I had with the 4.0 was the cam tensioner recall on the 97.

With the 4.0 I average about 16 mpg. With the v8 I averaged 14 mpg. It doesn't sound like much but when you figure a 20 gallon tank thats 40 miles less per Tank. Besides the money it just means you have a very short driving range between fillups.

My v8 was also starting to have problems with knocking before I traded it in. In the newsgroups I found some other people with the problem.

The v8 has All Wheel Drive=no low range.

Reply to
JaWise