hard starting

94 explorer very hard to start after it sets for 36 to 48 hours or longer. Once started it will stop and start allday until it sets again.Computer checked 3 different shops, no codes come up. Could this be a sensor problem? If so which ones would be supect? Semper Fi;Bill
Reply to
bilmal

Sometimes we put too much hope in codes and less effort into base diagnosis. Tehere is the chance that you have a sensor problem but your concern could also result from basic concerns.

How many miles on the unit? Plugs and wires are in decent shape? Battery and charging system up to snuff?

Pre OBD2 vehicles had fairly crude systems compared to modern counterparts. A sensor could lie to the PCM but still be inside programmed parameters. You're about to understand why we need to be sure of the basics.... there are many sensors whose reading may be improper but are still within accepted range. These include the IAT (intake air temp), ECT (engine coolant temp). TPS (throttle position sense). Addditionally, the MAP may be fouled, or the intake valves could have a build-up of carbon deposits. The fuel rail may not be able to build pressure quick enough or a million other things (well, maybe not a million, but it can seem like it).

Start by cycling the key three or four times before engaging the starter.... see if that makes a difference. If not, progress to pedalling a wee bit (without cycling the key) and see if that makes a difference.

No code diagnostics aren't impossible.... but they sure can be tough...

Reply to
Jim Warman

My 94 EB, woulkd spin the engine very fast, it had a new battery.

Would not fire though, turned out to be a relay.

Just unplugging and replugging worked, but a new one solved the problem.

Ride safe

Barry

" Awesome " Black and Red GL1500CF Valkyrie Interstate.

Sunny Ocala, FL 34482, USA

Barry Lockyer

More info on my hard starting of 8 Jan. The problem started in warm weather ,when it turned cold in Dec. no problem. In Jan. we had temps in the 70's for a week and the hard starting returned. Only 48000 mi on it,no other problems ???? Semper FI Bill

Reply to
bilmal

I have the same problem on a 92 Sport with 140k. Stumbles the first time I try to turn it over in the morning. If I cycle the key 3+ times before starting it helps. Problem reappears whenever the car sits longer than 12hrs. Problem only appears in mid-summer. Turns right over once the weather cools below 80 degrees. Easy starts even as low as 10deg.

I haven't been able to track down the source, so please pass along any solution you come across.

Reply to
jack