Headlight opinions

I have a 96 EB AWD V8 with 242K miles on it. The headlights are starting to take on that yellowed appearance.

Has anyone else tried any of the aftermarket OEM replacements, or the "Diamond cut lenses"?

Which provided greater light output without blinding oncoming drivers, and still retained the OEM aiming capabilities?

Reply to
Vito

Lenses are function of how the light emitted by your bulb is dispersed/focused on the road. Bulbs, depending on the type you use will determine how well lighted the area aimed at by your lenses will be and in what color. I have no experience with diamond cut lenses on the Explorer. But I installed some on my '96 4runner and had to re-aim the headlights because they came out a bit too high and i was getting yelled at a lot.

I am in the Philippines where rules on light bulb intensity are not really a cause of worry if you know what I mean. The new high efficiency halogens can produce illumination in the effective range of

90w to 135w without using up more than your standard OEM bulb.

I replaced mine with McCulloch Xenon bulbs with a color temperature of

10,000 deg K and effective intensity of over 200w but drawing far less than the OEMs. Great in fine weather, bloody dangerous when the roads are wet as the light would bounce up to the oncoming car. I had to put in foglamps for driving on the wet.
Reply to
boomouse