Heartbreak

Picked up my new '05 Explorer XLT on Monday. Yesterday a lady ran into it at 154 miles. ~$2,700 in damages. I know the autobody guy pretty well and he will replace all damaged parts with new...so technically my new XLT will be new again. I never in a million years would have figured that this would happen to me especially at 154 friggin miles. Gotta get the tears out of the keyboard now.

Al in Poughkeepsie :-(

Reply to
Alan E. Seelbach

I was broad-sided by a drunk driver on a brand new motorcycle a number of years back....a hit and run. Yes, it definitely sucks. Thanks God for thick skulls and hard heads

Reply to
John Riggs

I had that happen to our 91 F-250. Hit by a lady making a left turn at an intersection. I had eye contact with here right up to the impact; her excuse was that I had a yellow light, and she thought I should have stopped to let her by. The truck was in the shop for over 2 months, with the totla bill (to her insurance company) of over $7,000. She took out the entire left side of the truck, from front to rear bumper, including both wheels/tires, and bent the frame. Bell Ford in Phoenix did the repairs, and it came out very well, except they forgot(!) to clearcoat the paint. In the 8 years we owned that truck, it was hit hard enough to put it in the shop seven times, with the other drivers' insurance paying each time; we were very lucky there were no hit & runs, and all had insurance. I never did find the target that was obviously painted on the truck somewhere.

Reply to
Big Bill

there was an article in the newspaper recently about 'diminished value'.

it seems that drivers who had an accident and were not at fault can claim that their automobile, even though completely repaired by a body shop, is no longer worth as much because it has been involved in a collision. a potential future buyer may not pay as much for an automobile that has previously been damaged, then repaired. perception is the car will never be the same.

drivers are going back to the paying insurance company and sometimes collecting additional monies to compensate for the auto's 'diminished value'.

Al in Poughkeepsie :-(

Reply to
stevef

I have a 94 and it would break my heart... I can imagine you with an 05 with

154 miles on it. Damn...

Marc

"stevef" a écrit dans le message de news:RoMOd.14$ snipped-for-privacy@fe03.lga...

Reply to
The Punisher

I feel your pain. A woman backed up into the driver's door of my brand new Hyundai Sonata (my other car is an Explorer) yesterday. I got one estimate so far; $1,552. She left a note so I guess she'll pay but she didn't hear the estimate yet...

Reply to
Bob

In thirty years of driving I've yet to be hit by anyone that actually HAD insurance. Our '91 Explorer is zero for four in that category...

Reply to
John D. Goulden

I had that happen to me in my first new car. Was a1974 Toyota Celica, Fortunately I had enough time to beat the drunk driver sensless before the police arrived. I guess the bloody/broken nose, missing teeth must have happened in the wreck officer....Honest!

Reply to
DR RASTIS FAF00FNIK