Heater stuck on

I have a 97 explorer which is in great shape, except all of a sudden the heat is always on. Even if I put it on air, I still get heat. Max-air only tempers the hot air some. Rumor has it, this may be expensive to fix.

Is there an easy and cheap way to repair this?

Thanks in advance MoonDogii

***
Reply to
MoonDogii

Looks like you have the broken blend door problem. Official solution is to remove the dash and replace the entire heater plenum which will include a new blend door with an improved choice for the plastic hinge pin. Part is around $125, but there are 8-10 hours of shop labor involved. Prices range from $450 to over $1000 depending on the dealer.

There have been several workaround fixes to repair that blend door. Search on this group and on Google to see them. Many report success that way with significantly less expense.

=Vic= Bear Gap, PA

Reply to
Vic Klein

I really think we all ought to get together and send FORD a little note about this problem, it should be a recall. Its not our fault they used a faulty part in the assembly process!

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

Not sure if this helps however I found this post a couple of weeks ago. Someone posted the following link.

-Sam in Raleigh

Reply to
Sam

Yes, there is a rather extensive thread there on the subject. I have not had to do it myself (yet) but I think it boils down to a small nail and a little epoxy along with some elbow grease.

Reply to
Ulysses

it sounds like the one of the dampers is not fully shutting or the seal has worn off cheapest way to have it fixed is by doing it your self its not hard.

Reply to
redman28