Help 2002 Electronic Brake Control Location

Hi, I have a 2002 Mountaineer (Explorer) which I bought new with the Class III/IV Factory Tow package. I want to install an electronic brake controler for electric trailer brakes. When I bought the car, they gave me a plastic bag with the pigtail connector and a sheet with a wiring diagram and sketch showing the pre-installed connector on the vehicle. According to the sheet "a factory installed 6-way gray connector is located under the instrument panel on the drive side." A caption on the picture with an arrow pointing to the connector says "6-way gray connector located on forward edge of instrument panel (1L2T-14401)

I've just spent about two hours under the dash and can't find the connector. There are no open connectors, except a large green one with aboout 8 or 10 wires coming out of it mounted on a metal cross bar and the OBD connector, and in any event, the green one doesn't match up with the much smaller gray connector with pigtail supplied to me. I even took apart half of the dashboard and couldn't find it! For laughs I looked behind the glove box as well. No go. Does anyone know where the gray connector for the electronic brake control is? Please tell me as soon a possible. Thank you in advance.

P.S. one more bit of information: The sheet I have references a "2001 Explorer/Mountaineer." My is a 2002, although it's an early build and I'm pretty sure it was built in 2001. The picture does look just like my dash. Could it be I was supplied the wrong connector/pigtail and sheet and that the correct pigtail connects to the big green connector?

Reply to
akheel

You will have to look up behind the knee bolster.... IIRC, the connector should be to the right of the steering column...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Never mind. I found it. I googled "ford explorer brake controller location" and found a posting in the Explorer Forum that the brake control connector is behind the glove box, nothwithstanding that the sheet supplied by Ford explicity says (and shows with a picture!) that it's on the drivers side. The jerks at Ford stole two hours of my time with their incompetance. Anyone got any ideas how I can get it back from them?

akheel wrote in news:Xns97DBDF22736A1akheel@207.115.17.102:

Reply to
akheel

They used to be mounted just above the gas pedal , about 5" above it and against the center console bracket, might be on inside of bracket

Reply to
JohanB

If you find a way, let me know

They still owe me a couple hundred hours

Reply to
JohanB

I am having the same exact problem... I found Tech Service Bulliten

14903 issued against this problem and complaints. I don't have an account with the TSB account and can only get a summary (useless). Can anyone help me get the detailed summary of the TSB or post a picture or a better description where it is. I have been searching for over 4 hours now and getting really frustrated.

Thanks for any help...

akheel wrote:

Reply to
CaptainJava

The best I can do is to tell you where I found it. Open the glove box. There are two tabs on the box, one on each side, which prevent the box from falling completely open. If you gently bend each one in, it will allow the glove box to swing all the way down. Now with the glove box out of the way, you can see well behind it. I found the connector on the left side as you look into the glove box cavity, up a few inches, taped with black electrical tape to another harness. So the connector is probably covered with black electrical tape. Look for something covered with tape about the size of the connector. Peel off the tape and if you find a connector with no mate, you probably have the right one.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1151767948.118873.181660 @m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

Reply to
akheel