help.my car makes a clicking sound when trying to start

I have a 92 ford explorer and need advise. it?s been raing heavy all night and now the car won?t start just makes a click. I have tried to jump the battery and bang the starter and no luck.

Reply to
SHARLA1974

What happens when you turn the headlights on and then try to start it? If the lights go out, the battery is probably well and truly dead, and needs to be replaced. There's another possibility, though; your battery cable at the positive terminal may br corroded. Peel back the insulation and look for corrosion. If it's there, you might get away with simply cutting off the corroded length of cable and installing a new cable end, or, if the corrosion is bad enough, a new cable may be needed.

Reply to
Big Bill

My guess would be the starter motor, but the positive cable probably needs to be replaced too. On my '92 it started up until the point that the cable completely fell apart. On my '91 I suspected the starter motor. I removed it, hooked it up, and it worked fine. Put it back and it didn't work. Took it out and it worked. Put it back.... Turned out the brushes were worn just enough so that it worked if it was turned one way and not the other.

Reply to
Ulysses