HELP! Oil leak riders side shaft?

I have a 2000 explorer EB. I have a small, driveway staining, leak that seems to be comming from the riders side shsft between the CV boot and the transfer case. My local Ford dealer said it was the "outer seal" and wanted 300.00 to fix it. I have done most everything on Volvos and toyotas, but I don't know ford. Can someone lend me their opinion on this and what I need for the job.

Thanks

snipped-for-privacy@tuscolanational.com

Reply to
paw

If your talking about the transfer case tail shaft seal you'd be well served to let the dealer do it. There is a crusher in the seal that sets the clearance and it's not something the driveway mechanic can do. The $300.00 is a surprise. The two I've had replaced (1 95xlt and 1 98xlt) were both about $150.00. Things go up I know but 100% in about 18 months is a bit over the top. Good luck, RJ

Reply to
RJ Rabenberg

Hi and thanks for the reply. The leak is eminating from the half shaft from the transfer case to the riders side wheel. The leak seem to be around a flexible cover midway between the wheel and the transfer case. Would this be the transfer case tail shaft that you are refering to. I have looked in my Haynes book and at Alldata and can't pinpoint what seal it is. Can you shed some light on this. Thanks

Phil

Reply to
paw

Are you getting your transfer case confused with your differential?

Simon H

Reply to
Simon H