HELP! Rear tailgate latch broken

I have a major problem here...I have a 98 Sport and the rear tailgate handle isn't working. When I pull on the handle, there's no resistance whatsoever, so I'm guessing something inside broke. I also can't open the rear window. Every so often, the door ajar light comes on (intermittently) which I'm assuming is being caused by the rear hatch. Is there a way to access the latch mechanism without being able to open the gate?

Reply to
Dave Cilluffo