High pitched whistle

My wife's '01 Sport Trac is making a shrill whistling noise. It's coming from the right side and only when the vehicle is rolling. It's also very intermittent. We've never heard it at hwy speeds and sporadically in stop and go traffic. Applying the brakes makes no difference in the sound, nor does turning, either direction. Anyone got any ideas what the problem could be?

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

There is a noise that some older ones make which might be what you're hearing. It is made by the front axle seals.

However, I thought they fixed that a few years prior. Maybe not.

(I have a '98 which does this for several days after the 4wd has been used.)

Alan Moorman

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Paul Fix

Reply to
Alan Moorman

Have you checked the brake pads all around. The rivets on the brake pads may be touching the rotor. This happened on our 1996 explorer. You would probably see grooves worn in your rotor, if this is the case. Could be on the back side of the rotor as well. I our case, it was the left rear rotor. The brake pad had partly crumbled away and wore down so that the riviets were scraping against the rotor. It was a very high pitched, ear piercing squeal/whistle. At first I thought it was the wheel bearings but they seem to be fine. Hope this helps.

Byron

Reply to
jonezzzman