Hood Strut Replacement

Has anyone done this? How difficult is it? Are they available only at the dealer?

Reply to
Brett Moran

Richard

Are you talking about the hood lift supports? The little shock looking things? If so they are available at Advance Auto Parts ( and probably everywhere else). I put two on my son's '99XLS today and they were $20.49 each with lifetime warranty (big deal). VERY easy to put on with a screwdriver to snap the keeper spring off of the original supports.

Richard

Reply to
Debbie Grimes

You can get them at about any auto parts store. I got mine at my local NAPA store.

Just make sure you have a sturdy support under the front of the hood - or the hatch, the procedure is the same.

Open the hood, support it securely, pop the old clips off, put the new strut on, clip on the clips.

It would be better to do with two people, but certainly can be done by yourself.

Dave

Reply to
Just Me

What brand did you buy? I have never seen those last more than two or three years - on any vehicle. A lifetime warranty would be very nice!

Reply to
IK

Be glad you don't have an Acura - we have a 92 Legend and the struts are $85 EACH from the dealer ($170 total). None of the auto parts stores around here have them, and their suppliers don't either. I use a 2x4 to keep the hood open when I have to work on it.

Reply to
Mike Iglesias

/Richard

Advance Auto Parts part #5941725 for $20.49 each

/Richard

Reply to
Debbie Grimes

Thanks to this thread, I bought replacement struts for my rear door. I hadn't even thought to look for them at a parts store. When I bought new ones for my hood, I bought them from fordpartsonline.com. I didn't buy the rear ones because they were too expensive, and not as worn out as the hood ones. The rear ones were just under $25 each. I think they were around $80 from fordpartsonline.com. And these ones came with a lifetime warranty, too. Thanks for info!

Debbie Grimes wrote:

Reply to
Ratbert