How do I tell if my computer is bad?

Hey everyone,

I have a '04 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L V8, and whenever I turn the car on, everything kinda freaks out. All the gages try to go the downward direction towards the floor starting from the off position or zero. The radio will change Cd's for a few minutes, and my climate control will change tempatures from what I had had it programed on, nor will the exterior temp stay on. The transmission also shifts funny. It seems to do this whenever the car is cold, but even when warm it will do it every so often.

So I am coming to conclusion that my computer has to be malfunctioning, as how in the world could each one of these things all mess up at the same time...??

Thanks for your help!

-- Message posted using

information at

McNick

It is rare for a PCM to fail... even more rare for it to have much effect on the audio system and the EATC module. Your concern lies somewhere in the base electrical system....

Reply to
Jim Warman

What do you mean turn on... turn the key to the on position or run the engine?

Check for a defective battery, cables, or ground connection first. Defective ignition swith? Check to see if the output fromt he alternator is ok or if it has too much ripples (defective diode).

All this problems seem to indicate electrical noise.

Good luck.

McNick wrote:

More information at

AS