How Many Miles On Yours?

I have a 95 with 237,000 miles. New clutch at 100K. New fuel pump at

180K. New radiator and heater core. New shocks a couple of times. Many sets of tires and over 70 oil changes in my garage. Never had a problem with the engine. These days I only drive it when I need it and my daily driver is a VW diesel whose worse MPG has been 44. I'll be taking the Explorer to Moab, Utah in three weeks for the Fat Tire Festival, hauling four bikes and three people. Mark
Reply to
Mark Barrett

My first was a 91 EB with 245,000 mi, until totaled in an accident. I replaced it with a 92 XL with 161,000. Treat them right and the mileage doesn't mean a lot. Letting things go is what causes maintenance problems.

Richard

Dave Cilluffo wrote:

Reply to
Richard Ray

Reply to
Richard Ray
1992 EB 4x4, just about to hit 200K (and it shows)... will try to get two more years out of it and replace it with (maybe) a Mountaneer.
Reply to
John D. Goulden

Reply to
sranger3

What happened to your first tranny? Why the failure? I just had mine rebuilt at ~90,000.

Reply to
Oz

Just be careful with what you use use to clean up the engine bay with. The dealer I bought mine from used an engine dressing that did a number on my A/C lines, heater hoses, and vacuum lines. I had to replace them all. Brake cleaner or engine cleaner aerosol cans and some elbow grease should do the trick.

Reply to
Richard Ray

Should have mentioned: my 200K Explorer went 140K before trannie rebuild.

Reply to
John D. Goulden

Richard Ray wrotenews:dmqbd.2457$lp6.2106@okepread01:

No better and no worse than other American cars. The thing is with cars that you care about or that have some actual use and worth is that you'll spend money every year fixing it up. Not like a sedan or crappy cheap pickup truck or crappy little american van.

But when you have a classic car, an SUV with 4/4, or a muscle car, it's more likely you'll want to keep it around even when it gets dated and old and will spend the money on it to keep it running. It's not any better or worse.

A ford Focus will last 1 million miles, if you replace the engine every

150,000 miles, the transmission, the whole power train, the body, everything, just like you'll have to do with an Explorer. But with an explorer at least you can tow, go off road, through streams, on the beach and carry a lot of crap in the meantime. A Dodge, Chev or Ford sedan is simply a throwaway pile of crap after 8 years.

-- Riki

--Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Reply to
RikiTikiTavi

First post to this newsgroup. I got a '97 V6 SOHC 4x4 with 222k, I basically love my explorer. It is the first real car I have owned and I treat it nice. Interior has a couple burn marks on back bench other than that the interior is great. Six disc cd changer is still rockin'.

Reply to
fog-dog

Damn, that is sure an inspiration for anyone with an SOHC. My 99 XLT SOHC has only 34,000 miles on it. I bought it brand new, and it still looks new today. Only problem was the spark pack went bad at

19K, other than that, no problems.
Reply to
MikePier

Good point. Some of that stuff they sell seems to cause some kinds of plastics to deteriorate.

Brake cleaner eh? I've been doing my own brakes for about 35 years and I've never used brake cleaner. Of course I never stop anywhere. Good stuff?

Reply to
Ulysses

Reply to
Richard Ray
92 Sport -- 4wd Manual - convertered to manual hubs 192000 and still going strong. Almost time for a new clutch - still have the original.

Andy

Reply to
andy
95 EB. 114,500 Runs great except for the knocking at idle. A little rust on inside door bottoms and under liftgate. Wheels look amazing for their age and care (16" polished alum)

Relatively problem free. Original battery (10 friggin years old soon). Tow a jetski, and 20' boat occasionally (15 times a summer for about 5 miles one way.) Synthetic oil and 3 trans fluid changes (2 with Mobil

1 Synth ATF), rear diff with Mobil 1 75W90. Coolant flushed twice.

Replaced: lower driver ball joint, lower passenger ball joint (1 year ago), upper ball joint passenger side (3 years ago) resoldered Lamp out module recently to fix headlights, replaced the dpfe sensor that opens the egr valve(twice), replaced coolant control valve (regulates the auto climate control), sway bar link (but paid back by ford), replaced relay to fix power window problem, towing harness plug and wire, driver side seat belt buckle (female end w/ button), 6 cd changer, many hose clamps around exhaust shields, belt tensioner and belt. Never been to dealer for repair. Most work done by me except that darn rear emergency brake crap (lots of brake pads/rotors). Never stranded anywhere, but quirky little problems. Would do it again if I could. LOTS OF HELP FROM THIS GROUP TOO!!!

Reply to
Ted