How reliable are the later model Explorers?

I have read of problems with 4.6 liter and 5.4 liter engines expelling spark plugs because of not enough thread in the aluminum.I have heard of problems with the 5 speed autos.I have read that the ball joints go out with frequency.I have read of rear end independent suspensions leaking. I want a base model 2wd 4.6 liter or even a 5.o liter explorer 4 door for my wife to get rid of her E-150 5.o liter gas hog conversion van.What years are a good safe bet reliability-wise for this vehicle?What yr did they put a 4R70W in these vehicles as I understand that was a tough trans?

Reply to
taz

Mine have been very reliable. I have had '96, '98, '01, and '07 Explorers and a 2004 Mountaineer. No problems with any of them. Tom

Reply to
SF-East Bay'r

Reply to
Kenneth J. Harris

Reply to
SF-East Bay'r

had a 2000 Limited, purchased new.

during the first 3 years I had numerous problems; nothing major, mostly small irritating stuff. add to this the recalls- Firestone tires, brake fires, rollovers, etc., and I don't think I would buy another one. However, once the problems settled down, it was a pretty good car.

Reply to
trailer

Reply to
taz

Original owner of 99 XLT, SOHC V6, 74,000 miles. Nothing to complain about.

Reply to
Mikepier

No particular favorites.They all kind of blend together. I did some off-road driving with the '96 Sport including some rock filled river beds and it held up well. The '96, '01 and '07 were(are) 4WD. All the 4WD Explorers have driven in the snow around Lake Tahoe and mild off-road stuff in California. All held up well. Tom

Reply to
SF-East Bay'r