How to remove console cover in 2003 Explorer

I would like to remove the console cover and add some kind of slot to hold my cellphone and other stuff.

The part I want to remove is the molded piece that has the cupholders.

Any advice on how to get this out without damage would be appreciated.

Toby G.

Reply to
Toby G.

If we're talking about the same thing (the dark plastic piece?) you'll notice that the cupholders and tray have a little rubber matt at the bottom. IIRC, lifting out these matts will reveal the screws..

Jim Warman

Thanks for your reply, Jim. In my 2003 XLT, there is one screw in the bottom of the rectangular tray, but removing it does not release the unit. There are no screws under any of the cupholders. I feel that the unit is held on by some kind of clips around the sides or end, but am afraid to just start prying with a screwdriver.

Reply to
Toby G.

Ok..... I've only had to add the ashtray option to a couple and I swear I could remember screws in the cup holders.... been wrong before, though 8^)

You are right about the clips being there, too. They can be a little scary feeling. Use the screw driver carefully.... if you watch close, you should be able to identify their location..... if you can get your fingertips in at the clip location, a short, sharp tug directly away from the console should let the clip pop out. Occasionally you may need to insert a small screwdriver right at the clip and prise it apart.

Jim Warman