How to tell if a 2000 XLT is a Limited Edition

I bought a used 2000 XLT last August and I am getting ready to sell it privately. When I bought it at the dealership last year the salesman told me that it was a Limited Edition Explorer. He told me that I could tell by looking at the decal on the rear quarter panel. Is this true or did I get fooled? I am researching the value of my truck and I want to make sure that it truly is a Limited Edition and not just an XLT. It doesn't seem to say Limited on it anywhere.

Thanks, Corey

Reply to
Corey Burnett

I think you answered your question in the first line "I bought a used 2000 XLT ". Does it say XLT or Limited? There's your answer. If there are no decals, do you have the steering wheel with audio and temperature control buttons?

Reply to
Xx

Reply to
Bill HALL

Yes, I have now learned that you are correct. The problem is that when I bought the truck I didn't know enough about the difference. I was under the impression that there were two different versions of the XLT - the normal one, and the "limited" one. The dealer gave me that impression. Obviously the truck says XLT on it. But the sales guy made a point of telling me that I had a "limited" XLT. He pointed out some pin striping on the side of the truck with a little Ford decal. He said that the little Ford decal was the way to tell that this was a "limited" edition. Obviously I was completely mislead.

Well at least I know now that I have a regular old XLT.

Thanks, Corey

Reply to
Corey Burnett

You might be able to decode if the trim code is a XLT or a Limited by looking for the trim code on the VIN sticker located on the driver side door. The trim codes are usually translated in the owners manual, if not, go to the parts department of the dealership without the sales weasel and have them decode it for you.

Reply to
Richard Ray

Kinda reminds me of when I bought my Eddie Bauer Exp. The sales weasel was showing me book value on the truck. He said I should add

300 for moon roof, 300 for leather, and 300 for 6 disc CD changer. This makes sense (not sure about the actual 300 values as it was about 8 years ago), except he first said "It was Eddie Bauer series (which it is) and that adds about 1000 to the price over the XLT." This extra 1000 is for the items included on the EB over the XLT. It's almost like he said I needed to pay 1000 more for the EB model, then an extra 900 for the other options. These other options are what make it an EB and are standard on an EB model, which is why it's initially 1000 more. IDIOT salesman! Like I'm going to pay 1000 more just to have the EB moniker on the side of the truck!

Reply to
Ted

People pay well over $1000 for that emblem....(oh, and the other toys that come with it!).

Reply to
Mark