How to use 4wd feature on 2000 Explorer - EB

Hi all. My manual was stolen out of my car a while back and I haven't replaced it yet.

I will be driving in some possibly heavy snow this weekend and was wondering how to use the 4wd feature. Is it as simple as just "turning it on"? Does the car need to be in motion, park, etc when turning it on?

Thanks so much!

Theresa

Reply to
Theresa

Theresa, you can find the 'Glove Box Manuals' otherwise known as 'Drivers Handbooks' online at the following link.

on the 'Glove Box Manuals' link under the MAINTENANCE header and then select make/year/model as prompted. By the way, it really IS as easy as turning the dashboard switch to "4X4" but you really need to read the relevant section in the drivers handbook if you are not familiar with 4 wheel drive vehicles. DO NOT, in any circumstances drive more than a few yards in "4X4" mode on a hard, dry surface where there is lots of grip e.g. a dry (or even slightly damp) road - you could seriously damage the transmission. Don't let this scare you, it's just something you need to know and it applies to ANY 4X4 vehicle, not just the Ex.

Hope this helps, Simon H (In the UK)

Reply to
Simon H

Try this link :

Dave

Theresa wrote:

Reply to
Dave

you can put it in to 4 high at any speed but to use 4 low you have to stop the truck put it in to nuetral turn the switch to 4 low wait for the light to come on the put into drive and go to take it out of 4 low put in nuetral and take it out of 4 low

Reply to
mab6680

Thanks so much to all of you! This helps a ton.

Theresa

Reply to
Theresa

I have found on mine that I need to put Jeep into neutral, engage the 4X4 Low box and then put the jeep into reverse before it engages. Good luck with it. Ex Ford 2000 Explorer driver (Pissed off because there not available in RHD anymore) soo driving a Range Rover sport now.

Reply to
Kieran O'Leary

One shouldn't engage 4WD above 55 mph.... Come to think of it, if one needs

4WD, one shouldn't be going that fast. anyway.....

Reply to
Jim Warman

I always wondered what "engage" meant.

-- Do not shift into 4wd if you are moving over 55 mph at the time.

-- Do not exceed 55mph in 4wd mode.

??

Reply to
Alan Moorman