Hum/vibration in front end of '95 XLT

So I'd like to get some advice if anyone has some. I've got a 1995 Explorer XLT 4WD with a 4L V6 and 170k. There is a hum and vibration coming from the front end. I was told that the drain plug was loose on the front diff and it was leaking fluid. This person thought that problem was in the diff. Another person drove it and said the problem was either the front wheel bearings or the bearings in the front diff, but not likely the diff gears. What's wrong with my truck?

Here are some clues about the noise. It happens when the truck is in

2WD or 4WD. It stop when the wheel is turned maybe 15 or 20-degrees to the right. So if I'm driving around a curve, there is no noise. Now I know nothing about cars, but it would seem to me that this means it's not the bearings.

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

Oh, one more thing. Should I try and save some money with an independant shop or should I take it to the dealer? I usually avoid the dealer, but I feel like this may end up costing me a lot no matter where I go and maybe the dealer would have an easier time identifying the problem. Is this going to cost a lot?

Thanks all.

Jason

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Mr. Knowitall

i have a 96 explorer with 96k miles on it and have started to notice the same problem...a pronounced "hum" that gets louder as speed increases that is almost unbearable as its speed approaches 75mph. it almost seems to come from the left side of the vehicle. i have had a few problems with this vehicle, most notably the shocks that have had to be replaced twice. anyway, i'm in the same predicament, so any information that anybody has is greatly appreciated.

Reply to
yelsew