Humming '96 EB 4x4

My '96 EB 4x4 emits a loud humming sound from the front end that is loudest between 40 and 50 mph. The sound goes away when I steer to the right, but is unaffected when I steer left, so I figured that it must be the bearing and hub assembly on the right side of the truck (steering to the right unloads the right side bearings). I replaced the assembly, but the noise is still there. Since my tires were getting close to the point where I'd have to replace them, I went ahead and bought a new set of Michelins...no luck.

I'm stumped at this point. Any suggestions? I did check the lubricant level of the front diff, and it's fine.

Thanks! KJ

Reply to
KJ

If you steer right you put the weight of the car on the left wheels making it louder.

Reply to
JohanB

You're correct, the weight of the car does go to the left wheels when I steer right. That's why the sound goes away when I steer to the right...the bearing on the right side of the car unloads.

Reply to
KJ

Yeah, your right, to early to think straight for me :-)

Reply to
JohanB