HVAC problem with "vent"

When I put the HVAC control to vent and the temp to cool I get hot air. Going from hot to cool has no affect, I only get hot heater air out the top vent's. AC modes I get cold. Heat modes, hot air. While in vent mode I hear a clicking behind the glove box area when I turn the temp control but no cool air comes in and it's 45 degrees outside! Is this the "blend door" issue or something else?

Reply to
Chris

Sounds like the blend door problem. In MAX AC there is a valve that shuts off water to the heater core, so you won't get the heat in that mode. If you drop the glove box door and look on the top of the heater plenum you can see the actuator for the blend door. I suspect you'll see it turning as you move the heat control and the clicking is the rubbing of broken pieces of the shaft. One posting had a reference article that had a way to get at this from under the hood by trimming the replacement part a little. Might be worth showing to a mechanic as otherwise this is aan all-day job pulling the dash to get at the plenum. Prices range from $450 to $1200 for the repair, so shop around.

=Vic= Bear Gap, PA

Chris wrote:

Reply to
Vic Klein

Vic, would you have the reference to the article that tells howe to change this device without pulling the dashboard. I need to have this done and was given a price of $700 for the job. I don't want it done that bad.

Reply to
DonnyBoy

No, I don't off hand, but it was a post here within the last 6 months or so. Try a Google Groups search on "blend door" and see if it shows up. It was referenced by a poster and the link was included in the message.

=Vic= Bear Gap, PA

Reply to
Vic Klein

I just happened to run across the reference. Here it is:

Good Luck!

=Vic= Bear Gap, PA

Reply to
Vic Klein