I had to tighten my (idle?) because my 2000 wouldn't stay running, HELP?

I really do not know a lot about cars but I am trying to learn and I was on a trip of one way 1400mi. and i got there and drove around town everyday. When i got ready to leave my explorer would start but die unless i kept my foot on the accelerator. I do not know what to call it but i screwed in the screw to make my idle run at a higher rate. Please help!!

Reply to
coachpaul2003

Big Shoe

Reply to
Beeper

I confirm, sounds like IAC. Small silver cylinder with black plastic shiny knob and wires attached. Sits on top of Exploder engine (usually) behind throttle assemblies and is easily removed.

Loosen it and leaving it connected to cables take a screw driver and clean up the shaft. If I remember right it was almost $100 to replace on my SOHC. After a good 'broddle' with a screwdriver, mine has been fine for 40,000 miles.

Good luck.

David Raleigh

Reply to
David