idle stumble 96 4.0 explorer

My explorer doesnt have a nice steady idle. I have replaced plugs,Iac,air filter,egr valve,egr pressure sensor,cleaned the maf. I am thinking wires now. Could wires cause this? It will accelerate perfectly slowly and quickly. Accelerating it feels like new but at idle its just smooth it stumbles. I can see the (5speed) shifter moving with the unsteadiness. Thanks!:)Chris

Reply to
:

I do not think wires are the problem.

I would put a vacuum gauge on it and see what it says.before I threw more money at it. You may have an intake gasket leak. Not uncommon on early 4.0's.

The vacuum gauge should give you a steady high reading.

Reply to
ross via CarKB.com

Thank You for the help! I think you are right. I bought wires and no luck. Bought a coilpack and no luck. Leaned over the driver side fender and reved up the engine and heard what sounded like a vacuum leak under the black thing on top of the engine where it says 4.0 (Is this the intake?) I dont see any hoses under the tubes for then intake only see the injectors? How do I check for a vacuum leak? THanks:)

Reply to
Rocky Duke

on the pass side rear behind that black thing is your pvc valve and hoses that are going to it. had it replaced lately??? there a bitch getting them back in the hose and properly secure them. most people just put them back in the hose and forget to secure them what results in popping back out

rmv the plastic cover and look if all the hoses are properly connected

Reply to
johanb

Hello Johan. I will check it out. I acutally cleaned the pcv valve about 2 weeks ago and did put it back in its round little hole. Is this what you meant or?? I will look at it tonight. Thanks...

Reply to
: