Info on Recall involving intake gasket?

I have a '98 Explorer 4L V6 SOHC that runs very rough until warmed up in cold weather. The cooler the weather, the rougher it idles and runs until warm. I can't find anything wrong with the more obvious and easy to check components (I have another Explorer that I can swap known good parts with). I seem to recall something from the past in this newsgroup about a recall concerning an intake gasket problem that could cause the condition that I am experiencing. I've checked the Ford and other web sites for recall info and have yet to find anything. Does anyone have any knowledge concerning this problem and recall? I appreciate any info. Thanks, donpj

Reply to
maui1015

This concern was not the subject of a recall campaign.... TSB 99-10-4 pretty much covers the basics. I understand that (for US owners) there was a warranty extension for this problem. Those of us in Canada don't fare quite so well with some of theseissues.

HTH

Jim Warman

There was some manufacturing error that caused the intake manifold gaskets to be damaged. When cold they allow air in. As the motor heats up the expansion from heat seals the leaks.

There is a TSB on this. I beleive they bundle this with the cam tensioner repair. When I took my 97 explorer in they did both repairs at the same time. I think they extended the warranty for these items to 5yrs/60k.

FOund this on groups.google.com

This is what I received from Ford yesterday via email.

Thank you for your message of 12/18/00 regarding your 1997 Ford Explorer. We appreciate the time you have taken to write us concerning your vehicle's involvement in Campaign number 00M12.

Owners of affected vehicles are being notified that Ford Motor Company is providing additional coverage for the affected engine camshaft chain tensioner and lower intake manifold gaskets. If either the camshaft chain tensioner or lower intake manifold gasket should require replacement, dealers are instructed to install both of these upgraded parts at the same time, at no charge to the customer. The no charge coverage for this condition is available for 6 years or 120,000 kms., from the vehicle s warranty start date, whichever occurs first, and will automatically transfer to subsequent owners.

Reply to
JaWise

Thank you for your reply and the information. I contacted my local dealer and they verifiied what you told me. Unfortunately, my mileage is in excess of the 120,000 km (or 72,000 miles) and is no longer covered. Looks like I'll have to do it myself. Again, thanks for the info.

Donpj

Reply to
maui1015