Infrared Temp Gauge

I was having my AC checked the other day and the tech used an infrared unit. Said my vent temp was 19F. My BluePoint thermometers (I was using

2 ) were reading @45-50F on the same vent. Does anyone know why the big difference? Does 19F sound like a valid temp? thanks, bill g

-- His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like underpants in a dryer without Cling Free.

Reply to
bill g

19F sounds very low to me. Maybe he meant 19C?
Reply to
bill

I agree with Bill..... 19°F should have had ice growing on your dashboard. However, 19°C is right around room temp. I certainly wouldn't be measuring the temperature of wind with an infrared device since it has velocity that can skew readings. These things work best with semi-stationary objects.....

At any rate, 45 - 50°F sounds pretty good.

Now, if we could only figure out how he makes that little degree thingie 8^) ° ° °

Jim Warman

Richard

I know nothing about the temps but we sell the little infra red thermometer at RadioShack for $49.99 and it is pretty cool. My next door neighbor is in the heating and cooling business and I think he is "getting" one for Christmas this year.

Richard

Reply to
Debbie Grimes

If you are getting vent temps with a real thermometer at 45 - 50°F I can't understand any discomfort........ Certainly, if you're starting with a cabin temp of 140° or so, it's going to take several minutes to bring that temp down. If there is a restriction to the flow, the vent temps will look good but there will not be enough volume to cool the cabin. This could be a restricted pollen filter or an evaporator problem (many GMs have had this). from crap glued to the upwind side of the evaporator.

Since your discharge temps are well within reason, I would discount the AC system as a problem and start looking at air distribution. But first, try revving the motor up and see if there are any changes.... a faulty fan clutch or restricted condensor can affect the system in some strange ways.

For the air velocity skewing infrared readings...... might be an oversimplification but infrared thermometers work much like night vision goggles..... IIRC, they look at heat reflected from solid objects rather than 'fluids' such as air and water...... At 19°F, you're tech was on the wrong planet (ain't gonna happen) and at 19°C we are likely reading the temp of the dashboard. Infrared thermometers are very good used in their place...... this just ain't it.

I'm a t a disadvantage when it comes to AC since a really hot day here is in the mid to low 80's. We had a couple of days hat pushed into the low 90s recently and I was ready for intensive care....

Jim Warman

Jim, Thanks for further clarification. I guess the system is within limits, but when I ride in a friends Toyota van it's like a meat locker even on 95F days. Yesterday I was going down the interstate, my outside temp reads 94F and the vent temp is 60F. It does get colder at rpm's above idle, but in bumper to bumper traffic it tends to creep up to 70F, which to me isn't air conditioning. I'll look into the air distribution/flow problem. Maybe it's a stuck blend door.

thanks aga> If you are getting vent temps with a real thermometer at 45 - 50°F I can't

-- His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like underpants in a dryer without Cling Free.

Reply to
bill g

Bill: I forget; what vehicle do you have? Those temps seem too high to me. I keep a dial thermometer in my center vent and after running for 45 minutes or so, on recirc.on the highway, my therm is reading 40F.

-Steve ('94 EB 4x4)

Reply to
SASCHOCH

If the vent temp is up in the 60-70° range after being on for 15 minutes or so, there's something wrong with your AC. How are you measuring this? A thermometer with a probe inside the vent is the preferred way. What vehicle is this? How long has it been since your AC has been serviced?

Reply to
bill

Jim, The engine temp gauge pretty much stays the same. I don't see any signs of overheating. The fan clutch is tight. By that I mean I can't spin it more than

1/2 a turn or so. I really th> The 60° vent temp is definitely high..... (the 45 to 50 is more realistic)
Reply to
a&b