installing trailer hitch

I am thinking of buying and installing a class II trailer hitch on my

94 Ford Explorer 4dr 4x4. Manufacturers say drilling is involved on 91-94 models. Anyone know what drilling is involved and how hard it is to install?
Reply to
Jim

I bought a U-Haul hitch for my '94 back in 96 or 97. There was no drilling involved in attaching the hitch. The hardest part that I remember is that the bolts for the bumper had a strap welded between them and it was hard to get the bolts out. I think I ended up cutting the strap so I could get the bolts out one at a time.

Reply to
Mike Iglesias

I installed a Class III on a '92. It required drilling (I think) 4 holes about 1/2" in diameter. It was not easy drilling by my drill bit was not as sharp as it could have been. I drilled smaller pilot holes first of course. The tricky part was there are two c-frame adapters/spacers that I also had to install. It was difficult to maneuver everything into place working alone as the hitch is somewhat heavy and awkward. If you have someone to help you hold it while marking for screw holes and installing it that would help, but a Class II probably won't weight quite as much anyway.

Reply to
Ulysses

I installed a Class III/IV one-piece hitch on my '92, and it only involved drilling two 5/8" holes, per the instructions. The frame is tough, but not impossible to drill.

| | I installed a Class III on a '92. It required drilling (I think) 4 holes | about 1/2" in diameter. It was not easy drilling by my drill bit was not as | sharp as it could have been. I drilled smaller pilot holes first of course. | The tricky part was there are two c-frame adapters/spacers that I also had | to install. It was difficult to maneuver everything into place working | alone as the hitch is somewhat heavy and awkward. If you have someone to | help you hold it while marking for screw holes and installing it that would | help, but a Class II probably won't weight quite as much anyway. | |

Reply to
John Riggs