instrument cluster lighting

I have a 95 Explorer XLT and I would like to replace some burned out lights inside the instrument cluster. I have the cluster sitting in my lap. Removing the cluster was the easy part for me. Now what? How do I remove the bulbs without creating a shower of broker plastic?

Thanks for your time.

Dave

Reply to
David Bojanowski

If you mean that the twist-lock sockets feel like they're locked and won't twist, I know what you mean---and you can really wreck your fingers trying to remove them.

First, fold a paper towel into about eight layers, put it between your fingers and the socket, and turn it counterclockwise. It WILL unlock, just not easily. The towel should make removal less painful. Just work slowly, and you should avoid the shower-o-plastic. Don't force them out with a wrench.

Second, replace ALL of the bulbs with 194LL (long-life) lamps (or even 194 LED-based bulbs, if you can find any that put out a broad light pattern). Pep Boys sells 'em. You don't want to be doing this again in three months.

HTH...

Reply to
JonnyCab®