Instument lights.... should I bother?

My '97 XLT has one or two blown instrument lights, on the right so I can't see oil or battery gauges at night. The others are ok. Anyone know how difficult it is to replace them? Cheers.

Reply to
Alan

Put it this way, if you had a problem with your oil pressure or charging system, the "check gauges" light will come on and you'll know there's a problem.

Reply to
Mikepier

Search Google for "just_steve instrument panel". Take a look at

to getan idea of the dash removal process. I'm pretty sure you have to pull theinstrument cluster out to get to the bulbs, although I have to admit I'venever tried just reaching up behind the cluster - but if memory serves Idon't think there's any way to get to the bulbs without disassembly. If Iwas going to do it, and if it does require taking the whole cluster out, I'dgo ahead and replace all of them while I had it apart. I wish I'd done sothe last time I had the cluster out for a different problem. Watch out forthe small rubber bumpers on the back of the dash panels - they tend to getcaught on the edges of the dash and pop off, falling into the darknessinside. If you've led a good life they might fall all the way down throughthe dash and you'll find it on the floor... ;-) Steve

Reply to
Just_Steve

It's not that bad. It took me a couple of hours to get it out using a Haynes manual, at a leisurely pace.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Scrutton

How much trouble to replace the headlight switch in a 94 Limited? I can get the instrument lights on if I jiggle the switch exactly right. The headlights work regardless if the panel lights are lit.

Reply to
S.P.