Intermittant howling

96 Explorer 4wd 4.0 AT. I have an intermittant howling where the pitch sounds almost like a coyote. I think it might be water pump or alternator. doesn't change if A/C is off or on. I notice while idling and goes away when engine is under load. tia
Reply to
Spud Unger

Sounds like the infamous IAC moan..... when the sound occurs, hold your hand on the air inlet duct to see if you can feel the vibration.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Reply to
Spud Unger