Jiffy lube, Oilchangers, etc.

The problem with the vertical filter is that as you are loosening the filter the oil is draining down on top of your hand and down your arm. On my old '73 Mustang with the 351C the filter was mounted on ~45 degree angle, which is the same with the '99 Taurus, which allows the oil in the filter to drain into the pan below.

Reply to
ckirk

I usually stand and watch the Jiffy Lube guys. And, how well they do all depends on whether they're clueless teens, or have worked there for a while.

One JL near me used to have actual Competent Workers, but then the district manager fired the manager of that store, and now they have strange people who I don't trust.

So, now, I'm going to another one which seems to have competent guys.

Reply to
Alan Moorman

Mazda RX-7. That filter was a peach. A spin on filter with the opening pointed down. Mounted up nice and high so you would douse the whole right side of the engine with dirty oil. Luckily it was a small filter and didn't hold much oil.

Exact opposite: Most every BMW engine ever made. Oil filters are a permanent canister with a removeable top and you only replace the filter media and a couple of rubber O rings. When you pop the top of the canister the oil drains out and right into the crankcase to be removed with the rest of the oil. Grab the filter with an inverted plastic bag and you never even have to get your fingers oiley.

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.